Roughly a year ago, a person named Jasper was using Internet Explorer, basically for the surfing of the Internet World. He was not a very knowledgeable person in using softwares, so he just installed a lot of programs, without noticing many toolbars and exploits were being placed on his computer. He thought it was some sort of bundled package freebie searchbar, and continued using, not knowing the the loopholes it created on his computer. Soon, He started seeing one of the most feared problems on the Internet World, The SYSTEM SHUTDOWN in 0:00:59.
Nooo! Problems! Viruses! Adwares! Trojans! Spywares! Help me!
Indeed, his computer was infected by viruses, from the downloading of programs and games recklessly while not checking for the reliability of such programs.
A few days later, Jasper started exploring into the world of fixing such problems, and today, He made two basic guides for RP students, after learning some knowledge on surviving in the virtual world. Indeed, one year has already passed since the online experience changed.
Firefox indeed. What is Firefox actually that I am referring to?
It’s the Mozilla Firefox! Currently known to be the 2nd most popular web browser in the world, to the Internet Explorer 6/7, the Mozilla Firefox has been around for quite some time already. It has been known to be much more powerful than Internet Explorer in some of its features and abilities, as I will elaborate on later in the post.
Is it free?
Yes, Mozilla Firefox is indeed a free web browser, and is readily available at the website http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
What are the features available for Mozilla Firefox that is better than IE?
(Introduction from Firefox.com)
- A Better Web Experience
- Firefox 1.5 has an intuitive interface and blocks viruses, spyware, and popup ads. It delivers Web pages faster than ever. And it’s easy to install and import your favorites. Packed with useful features like tabbed browsing, Live Bookmarks, and an integrated Search bar, Firefox will change the way you experience the Web, for the better.
- Faster Browsing
- Enjoy quick page loading as you navigate back and forward in a browsing session. Improvements to the engine that powers Firefox deliver more accurate display of complex Web sites, support for new Web standards, and better overall performance.
- Automatic Updates
- The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Firefox. Firefox automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.
- Tabbed Browsing
- Use tabbed browsing to open multiple Web pages in a single browser window, and quickly flip back and forth. Drag and drop open tabs to keep related pages together.
- Improved Pop-up Blocking
- Firefox’s built-in pop-up blocker has been enhanced to block more unwanted pop-up and pop-under ads.
- Integrated Search
- Tap into the power of the Web’s most popular search engines with the built-in Search bar, and easily add new engines.
- Stronger Security
- Firefox keeps you more secure when you’re browsing the Web, closing the door on spyware, worms, and viruses. The Firefox community of developers and security experts works around the clock to monitor security issues and release updates to better protect you.
- Clear Private Data
- Protect your privacy with the new Clear Private Data tool. With a single click, you can delete all personal data, including browsing history, cookies, Web form entries and passwords.
- Live Bookmarks
- Stay up to date with your favorite Web sites and blogs. Use Live Bookmarks that update themselves automatically with the latest content from the Web.
- Firefox 1.5 delivers easier navigation for everyone, including those who are visually or motor-impaired. Firefox is the first browser to support DHTML accessibility, which, when enabled by Web authors, allows rich Web applications to be read aloud. Users may navigate with keystrokes rather than mouse clicks, reducing the tabbing required to navigate documents such as spreadsheets. Firefox 1.5 (Windows version) is also the first browser to meet US federal government requirements that software be easily accessible to users with physical impairments.
- Customize Firefox
- Select new button controls for your toolbars, install extensions to add new features, or change the look of your browser with themes – the way Firefox looks and works is under your control.
- Next Generation Web Support
- Innovative new Web applications and services deliver a richer Web experience. Support for open Web standards in Firefox ensures you can get the most out of this emerging class of Web-based tools.
Wow!Wow indeed is the word. From a personal experience, I would say Firefox definitely has been a recommended choice to me to use for online surfing. Indeed, Firefox does meet up to what it says, for Firefox allows a user to install extensions that are great tools to prevent popup advertisements, has no requirements to install toolbars into Firefox for programs, a user-friendly interface just like IE itself, and is also a great multimedia browser like IE, basically having most of the same functions!
This sounds very interesting……
Yes indeed. Mozilla Firefox also allow users to add their own plugins, and themes that suit the users itself.
Yes. The themes function indeed, has been included in Mozilla Firefox, just like how a user customise his Desktop and settings with ThemeXP, or WindowsBlinds, Mozilla FireFox also has its own ability to have customised themes for its users.
I want to use Firefox now!
Yes, definitely there’s no problem with getting it! You can check out these links to get Firefox!
Yes indeed, it does seem to be that attractive, but nothing on Earth comes in perfect, or free.
I shall guide you along to making your experience of surfing the Internet with safety and comfort, by teaching you how to install some extensions for your Mozilla Firefox that makes it quite fool-proof!
First, open up your Mozilla Firefox.
Note : The brown wood theme is the one I have downloaded for use, so it may seem different to new users why mine look different to yours.
– So now, let’s go to Extensions, at the Tools options.
– Click on that Extensions option, and it shall bring you to this part shown below.
Note: Yours would most probably empty, so click on the Get More Extensions to go to a webpage with extensions that you can install to your Firefox.
– You are at this part already, so for the extensions to make your firefox experience safe, I would like you to choose 3 extensions that are very important, mainly
– AdBlock Filterset.G Updater
These 3 extensions are useful in helping you in minimising the number of popups you see while surfing the Internet with Mozilla Firefox.
– After coming to the NoScript Page, you will see the Install Now Button. Click on that button, and you shall be brought to this page.
– At this point of time, there will be a countdown before you are allowed to press on the “Install Now” Button in the smaller window. Once the countdown is completed, press on “Install Now”.
– You will then be brought back to the small Extensions Window again, as you monitor the progress of the extension that you are installing. Don’t worry, it only takes a few second for small extensions.
– All Extensions are installed in the same manner, so just search for AdBlock and AdBlock Filterset.G Updater and install it in the same way shown above.
To change your Themes and see your File Download Status( Just like Internet Explorer’s downloading), go to your Tools, and select it. Themes can be downloaded and installed just like how you install your Extensions.
Compatibility Issues with Websites:
Someone once asked me whether it goes compatible with most websites. The answer is yes. For RP Students, you don’t need to worry. All the following websites work with Firefox.
So for today, I have come to the end of the Firefox Experience : The Guide to Surfing the Internet. I hope you enjoyed my guide, and thank you for reading it.
Thank You all!
“Play with Originality, Play with StyleZ”